Wednesday 7 November 2012

Caught in the wave



The same old blackboard, the same old off-white tube light and that same old small room stuffed in with more students than double of its humble appetite... everything was just the way it used to be but the only thing perhaps that stood out n screamed out “Yes, this is awkward!! And yes I am pretty freaked out! “ was me!
]
Standing beside the blackboard of our local maths tutor, for them I was the one of those few iitians that made it through jee out of our small state Tripura and I was asked to address the guys back in our place to talk about iit, about iit life, iit preparation and stuffs of the same sort. Before I move on to tell you guys about the evening I would like to tell you about a flash back. ( take it as one of those extra black n white flash back within flash backs that we get to see in movies!:D )

Back as kid of 9th or 10th iit was every like that big dream of people who everyone talks about and is really crazy about. IITians were like celebrities who didn’t just prove themselves to be stronger, sharper and of a much higher intellect than others but just the way they discuss ideas, strategize a solution, their ways of attacking exotic problems and their motivations and passion… well, it all used to come together to create this exotic species of an iitian for us. We never used to have big coaching institutes and in a small town like Agartala, the few iitians every year used to be very much in the headlines… So we all wanted to be like them, be one amongst them… and the big stage used to be when they were called by tutors to give address the  aspirants. It used to be like the whole batch looks up to you. I can’t tell you how many times we had thought of this day in our heads… the day we get called by our tutors to give our very ‘own gues lecture’.
So yeah, it was pretty big for me but things had changed since then. I was the same old me after all. Going out, seeing the world, being amongst other iitians, friends, people and strangers had changed my thinking a lot. As a student I used to be much more passionate than motivated. Problems were more important then marks and ranks. And even though I did make it to IIT I would always regret of letting go of my ‘physicsified’ dreams and how I should have been a physics student than an engineering celebrity at our small town.

I looked back at them and started interacting. I did get the same type of questions that every IITian gets at this point… How is it inside IIT, which all topics should they concentrate on more, what are the so called ‘tricks’ to solve objectives, how much time to devote on different subjects…. So on and so forth.
I did try my best to help them out but somewhere deep inside I did feel a little disheartened. It was like a big bunch of people who were there to somehow prove themselves, ‘show the world’ how much strong and sharp they are. They we competitive, motivated but hey, I still did wonder though… where is the passion?? Before being an iit aspirant they were all science students. None of them asked me which topic I really liked… of why the gravitational law holds the way it holds... what causes it to happen, what is the physical realization of ‘ ...i ‘, why really does the position and momentum cannot be simultaneously defined….. nothing like that… I did try a couple of times to change the track from ‘madness for iit’ to the ‘ mad world of science’ but the hilarious and at times ‘weird’ comments did somehow used work its way back to the old track…
“what’s the point of doing permutations… problems take a long time to be solved in exam”
“Yes, but rotational mechanics need not to be covered this time. Many questions have come last year so this time we can bail out”
“Why fluctuating electric fields give rise to magnetic fields… c’mon… Faraday’s law says so! “

So yeah, it was kind of weird in it’s own way but how could I help it. They were all caucht in this etenal wave of trying to prove to the world how strong and sharp they have become. But I guess at times It’s important to stop looking at the world out there and look at ourselves from our own eyes… look at our abilities and and our mistakes, discover our own ways to look at things and overcome the closed doors….
At times its not really about trying to compete with the world but to compete with the one you were a second ago. 

But too bad I wasn’t able to convey our message to the other side. All that I could do was stand back and stare helplessly as I watched all those young talented guys caught in the eternal wave that only runs towards the madness of the artificial world of marks, ranks and status…

No comments:

Post a Comment